November 30, 2008

A Differerent Game

Looking ahead to this afternoon's Premier League clash against Arsenal, Luiz Felipe Scolari has challenged his defence to show its strength.


We have conceded just four times in league action this season, with Xabi Alonso's winner for Liverpool at the Bridge last month the only goal in the last 12-and-a-half hours to have beaten either Petr Cech or Carlo Cudicini, yet Scolari acknowledges that in Arsene Wenger's side we face a formidable attacking unit.


'I think Arsenal [will] attack us more than the other clubs. It is not easy for my team, they need very good concentration and maybe we have some opportunities that other teams don't give to us because they attack us, maybe with six, seven, eight players sometimes.


'If we are intelligent sometimes we have the chance to counter-attack. They play football very well, in the Premier League they are one of the best teams. They have a good defence but they try to attack more than defend,' Scolari said of the opposition.


'Maybe they come to win and win, I hope not, I hope they come to win and lose but they try more than other clubs because this team plays to attack, not to defend. It is a different game for us now, and I will see if my defence is as well as I think.'


This means the manager will be looking hard at whoever he chooses in his backline, but one thing is for sure, captain John Terry will be among them.


'He is a face for the coach. When I was captain in my teams in Brazil as a player I was the face for my coach, and it's what I see in John Terry,' Scolari said. 'I think he was born as a captain, it's fantastic for a coach.'



0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP